**GUARDIAN STAR Brief — 23 September 2026** **Information as of:** 23 September 2026, 07:14 PDT (14:14 UTC) **BLUF**: FO’s R.C. moved a US diesel export embargo from “other options first” to **likely within 30 days**. W7 opens at **likely**, moderate confidence. Trump on 22 Sep urged his staff to stop sending diesel out; Bessent is examining a full or partial ban; Wright and Burgum oppose; there is no order. The US–Denmark–Greenland defense pact was signed 22 Sep (T7); it is not in force. A Russian Mi-8 entered Polish airspace for 42 seconds (W2-I1; W2 holds at very unlikely). Iraq and Oman cancelled Iranian flights under a US secondary-sanctions threat (T6). **Warnings** **W7 — US diesel export embargo (opened at likely)** **Facts**: FO Early Warning 23 Sep (R.C.): “a diesel export embargo is likely within the next 30 days”; if imposed to mitigate prices, “almost certainly” ahead of the 2026 election; relief “will likely only temporarily mitigate” prices (FO, paid Watchfloor, 23 Sep). Trump, UNGA, 22 Sep: “I've said let's not send out the diesel … I've called for it within my people” (Reuters, Gram Slattery, official remarks to reporters, 22 Sep, https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-says-he-backs-idea-ban-diesel-exports-2026-09-22). Bessent, same appearance: examining “whether a full or partial ban would work.” Politico: decision “fast, one way or the other” (James Bikales, 22 Sep, https://www.politico.com/news/2026/09/22/trump-decision-diesel-export-ban-soon-01087925). Wright: Gulf Coast glut, refiners cut rates. Burgum: unlikely to lower prices; retaliation risk. Sullivan: “temporary pause” to rebuild winter reserves. Grassley floor, 22 Sep: “temporary embargo … through executive actions.” Roll Call: House adjourned; IEEPA as a no-Congress path (22 Sep, https://rollcall.com/2026/09/22/trump-says-administration-is-weighing-diesel-export-restrictions). AAA diesel $6.5276 as of 22 Sep, series high (https://gasprices.aaa.com). No proclamation, DOE order, or floor vote. **Assessment**: A diesel export restriction is **likely** inside 30 days (moderate confidence: FO’s R.C. adopted; president has now publicly urged it; cabinet is split). Alternative: Wright/Burgum hold and the decision is “no”; a dated White House refusal (W7-D1) would discriminate. W7-I1, I2, and I3 are already fired; I4 (the outcome) is not. Capability: US legal authority to restrict petroleum-product exports (as of 23 Sep; IEEPA is Roll Call’s reading, not a filed statute quote). FO’s M.H.: hospitals, emergency fleets, harvest, and freight will likely face supply volatility if a ban is enacted; start and end dates will almost certainly trigger stockpiling. Assumes midterm pump-price pressure outweighs refiner opposition. T6’s diesel bar is the same act; it has not cleared. **Uncertainties**: Full vs partial. Whether gasoline is bundled. Duration and exemptions. IEEPA vs EPCA vs DOE authority. **Signposts**: Proclamation or IEEPA/DOE order (W7-I4, outcome). Dated presidential “no” (lowers). EIA 23 Sep distillate print (context, not a fire). **Developments** **Greenland defense pact signed, not in force (T7)** **Facts**: White House text, done at New York 22 Sep, https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/2026/09/agreement-between-the-government-of-the-united-states-of-america-and-the-government-of-the-kingdom-of-denmark-together-with-the-government-of-greenland-to-amend-and-supplement-the-agreement-of-27-apri — Art. IV: Pituffik expansion; additional Defense Area at Narsarsuaq and Mestersvig “modalities … mutually agreed.” Art. XI: no end date; independent Greenland is to remain in / apply to NATO and assume Denmark’s duties. Art. XII: in force on a Danish/Greenland diplomatic note after parliamentary procedures. Art. X: non-NATO / non-NATO-partner / non-EU investors barred from control or significant influence in sensitive sectors unless the Parties agree; US authorities to be consulted. FO 23 Sep (J.V.): “Greenland is now functionally a protectorate”; China “outright banned without U.S. approval” is J.V.’s reading of Art. X, not a named clause; “as it sees fit” / “veto powers” overstate the consultative text. **Assessment**: A signed, not-in-force security instrument that adds two named Defense Areas and a NATO-on-independence clause (almost certainly the text says that, high confidence). FO’s J.V. protectorate reading is adopted as judgment. Alternative: Danish/Greenland parliaments delay or condition Art. XII; a ratification vote would discriminate. **Russian Mi-8 in Polish airspace 42 s (W2-I1; W2 holds)** **Facts**: DORSZ, 23 Sep 11:08 CEST, north of Braniewo: Russian Mi-8 from Kaliningrad, ~300 m / 42 s; fighters scrambled, ground AD on standby; no engagement claimed (https://x.com/DowOperSZ/status/2102723364439679215). PAP: Russian aviation had not recently been violating Polish airspace. **Assessment**: A shallow crewed entry, no fire. Fires W2-I1. Does not fire W2-I2. W2 remains **very unlikely**. Depth/duration this instance do not show a rising pattern. **Iraq and Oman cut Iranian flights (T6)** **Facts**: Reuters, 22 Sep, two unnamed sources, https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iraq-suspends-iranian-flights-baghdad-after-us-sanctions-threat-sources-say-2026-09-22 — Iraq ordered CAA to suspend Iranian flights to Baghdad from Wednesday midnight after a US threat to sanction airports that service Iranian carriers. Bessent: Iranian airlines “shut down on September 23” by secondary sanctions on fuel, landing, and tickets. Tasnim (Iranian CAO): Tehran–Baghdad and Muscat cancelled; Istanbul continues. FO’s Azerbaijan suspension was not in the Reuters/Al Jazeera texts this session. **Assessment**: US secondary-sanctions pressure has already moved Iraq and Oman/Muscat (likely, moderate confidence: unnamed Iraqi sources plus Iranian CAO). Does not fire W6-I13. W6a holds at roughly even chance; Petroline still without a ≥2 million b/d figure (W6-D2 unmet).